Wow. It’s been five months since my last blog post. I’d say it feels like yesterday but it really doesn’t. In fact, it feels like years instead of months.
Since then we:
- lost our beloved Boston Terrier of eight years
- sold a house practically before the sign was out front
- put an offer on a home yet-to-be-built
- considered another home that needed considerable work to bring it out of the 1970s
- completely changed our mind and circled back to a brand new house we fell in love with last fall
- purged and packed twelve years of living
- didn’t hire movers
- almost killed each other
- are settled into a home we’re loving
The new house gets us much closer to school for the kids, a bigger lot with privacy and opportunity for outdoor entertaining, larger bedrooms for the boys, and in general, a new start that feels really good. We compromised on some things here–the overall square footage is smaller than our last place, no living room, a slightly smaller kitchen, the dream bath and, most importantly, we left behind some really great friends/neighbors.
I can’t wait to make this home ours. The biggest challenge at this point is pacing myself to slow down and make deliberate choices instead of quick ones. I constantly have to remind myself that it took twelve years for our last house to evolve into a place we loved. Home wasn’t built in a day.